Plain Rice Recipe Middle Eastern
This recipe is basically the base of most of the rice dishes. It takes longer to make the rice this way but will be worth it. You need long grain basmati rice. White basmati is fine.
Recipe type: Vegan
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 4 cups of rice
- Olive oil or any other vegan butter
- Fill a large pot ¾th full and bring to a boil. Add a little salt. While you are waiting for water to boil, wash your rice:
- Put the rice in a bowl and fill with cold water you can use your fingers to mover the rice around in water and then dump the water out. Repeat the process a few times until the color of water becomes clear. Usually about 6 times.
- Add a little salt and let soak in clean water while you are waiting for water to boil.
- Once the water has boiled add the rice and bring it to a quick boil. You can see the rice grains lengthen in size and are softer. You do not want it too soft as it becomes sticky.
- Drain rice immediately. Put the pot back on the burner on medium high heat, add oil enough to cover the bottom. Start adding rice in a pyramid fashion.
- Once finished make 3 wholes all the way to the bottom to let steam out of the bottom. Cover and lower the heat to low and let cook for another 15 -40 minutes. The longer it cooks, the better crispy rice you will get at the bottom of the pot. If you are not interested in the crispy rice then after 15 minutes you can turn it off.